The original Ohio University Men’s Glee Cub was founded in 1906 by two students – Frank Speck and F.D. Forsyth. The two men organized the Glee Club with oversight by Professor of Music, Thomas Hoover. The ensemble would perform Winter and Spring semester concerts each year and frequently collaborated with the Women’s Glee Club for campus performances.
First known photo of the Ohio University Men's Glee Club, 1908
The Glee Club grew in popularity over the years and quickly became a staple on the Ohio University campus. The ensemble was frequently invited to perform for radio stations and in competitions all over the state. The Glee Club would also travel the state and beyond for performance tours each year and even received First Honors at the Ohio Intercollegiate Glee Club Contest for many years.
Lasting through the first World War, the Great Depression, and even the second World War the Ohio University Men’s Glee Club seemed to withstand the test of time, politics, and war. There are only a handful of times that there is no record of the original Glee Club being active on Ohio University’s campus – 1917, 1918, 1944, and 1955. Although it is possible that the ensemble was inactive during those years, a lack of record keeping could also be at fault.
For over sixty years the original Ohio University Glee Club was an active organization at Ohio University. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts within the School of Music, the ensemble was dissolved in 1970.
In 1989, almost twenty years after the dissolution of the original Men’s Glee Club, Assistant Professor of Music, Dr. Ira T. Zook, was called upon to revamp the once great organization. Dr. Zook quickly lead the Glee Club to new heights of professionalism and musicality and created the foundation for the ensemble as we know it today. The ensemble created strong traditions and bonds, formed a Constitution and Executive Committee, and in 1995 renamed itself The Singing Men of Ohio.
In 1997, members of The Singing Men of Ohio, Erik Reaves and Jason Crabill, designed the original seal for the organization. The seal is symbolic of the organization - each piece representing an important theme for the ensemble and uniting members new and old. In 2000, Cory Todd and Jimmy Schrman created another symbol for
The Singing Men of Ohio – The Super SMO. The Super SMO has been used far and wide as a logo for the organization and quickly became one of the most recognizable images for The Singing Men of Ohio. Both of these iconic symbols were modernized by Corey Harper, a current SMO member, in 2019 and continue to represent The Singing Men of Ohio over twenty years later.
Seal of The Singing Men of Ohio
The Super SMO
The Singing Men of Ohio have remained an active member of Ohio University’s community since it’s rebirth in 1989. Serving as both a performance ensemble within the School of Music as well as a student organization, The Singing Men of Ohio continue to honor what Dr. Zook created over thirty years ago – a brotherhood that fosters the advancement of tenor/bass choral singing and a spirit of fraternity among students at Ohio University.
1906-1912: Thomas N. Hoover
1912-1913: James W. Buchanan
1913-1923: Alexander S. Thompson
1923-1937: C.C. Robinson
1937-1970: P.L. Peterson
1970-1989: Men’s Glee Club Inactive
1989-2000: Ira T. Zook
2000-2001: R.D. Mathey
2001-2005: Raymond S. Feener
2005-2007: Stephen Caracciolo
2007-2012: Peter Jarjisian
2012-2017: Daniel J. Hall
2017-Present: Bradley Naylor